Planning a move is stressful enough, but when you add in pets, it can get a lot worse. We all love our pets and want to make sure they are safe during a move. So, what can you do to ensure the move is a successful one with pets? Take a look at the tips outlined in this post.
- Collar and Tags. Every pet you own should have some type of identification when it comes to moving day, especially dogs and cats. Your pets should have a collar on with tags that identify them. Identifiable information includes the pet’s name, owner’s name, address and phone number.
- Carry Pet Documentation. During a move you should carry pet documentation with you and have it at the ready. The documentation you should have includes their vaccination records, microchip information, recent photo of your pet, phone number for your veterinarian, license numbers and spay/neuter certificate.
- Secure Pet During Packing. When the moving company is at your home loading trucks, be sure to secure your pet. Even if your pet is well-trained, it can become spooked when seeing strangers loading items into a truck. The last thing you want is to have your pet bolt out the door in the middle of a move.
- Pack a Travel Bag. Pack a travel bag for your pet. It should include a first aid kit, blankets, toys, bones, treats and their regular food. The worst thing you could do to your pet, aside from the stress of the move, is to forget their regular food. Giving your pet their regular food during the move will help to prevent an upset stomach.
- Bring Pet in the Car. Do not let the pet travel with strangers in a moving van or truck. Bring your pet with you in the car. Whether they have to travel in a crate or on the backseat, this will ease their stress being with recognizable family members.
- Make Overnight Accommodations in Advance. If your move requires staying somewhere overnight, make those accommodations in advance. This will enable you to find a hotel or condominium that allows pets.
Contact the experienced staff at Moving Man, Inc. today to schedule your estimate.